Metal injection molding is part of the powder metallurgy set of manufacturing processes. GKN Group take us on a journey through their complete metal injection molding process in this video.
The fundamental steps involved in GKN’s metal injection molding process as shown include;
- Combination of the base powder with alloying elements;
- Kneading the metal powder alloy with polymers and wax to make the injection molding feed stock;
- Injection molding the feedstock to make a ‘green part’;
- Thermal debinding where most of the polymers and wax are removed to make a ‘brown part’; and
- High temperature sintering to bind the metal particles together.
The video also shows examples of one and two cavity tools and the operation of a tool with a hydraulic slide to relieve an undercut in the part.